The Many Peaces Magazine is founded on the idea that there are many peaces and many interpretations and expressions of what peace is. Our work seeks to embody the philosophies and theories of the University of Innsbruck’s Unit for Peace and Conflict Studies and its UNESCO Chair for Peace Studies. It is published twice a year, in January and July.
The Many Peaces Magazine is run voluntarily and coordinated by a team based in Innsbruck with editors and authors spread out over three continents and features stories from around the globe. The articles, stories and contributions that can be found in the magazine relate to the field of Peace Studies in some way, but more specifically to the fields of Transrational Peace Philosophy and Elicitive Conflict Transformation. The Many Peaces Magazine is an outlet at the intersection between Peace and Conflict Studies, research communication and Peace Journalism, unifying both academic and journalistic formats under one umbrella.
We are looking for an Editor with a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story within the fields of peace journalism and peace and conflict studies, to juggle all the moving parts of publications. You will plan, coordinate, review and edit content. The successful candidate will be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards. The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content.
- Coordinate online and print publishing cycle and manage content areas
- Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with the editorial line and targeted audience’s preferences
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
- Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters
- Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers, advertising reps, writers, artists etc.
- Report to and coordinate with Head of Editorial Section / Editor in Chief
- Be ready to participate in monthly editorial meetings
- Comply with high ethical standards
- Actively contribute to fundraising activities of the Many Peaces Magazine
- Meet deadlines
- Working experience as a writer; prior journalistic and / or editorial experience are an asset
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills
- Hands on experience with MS Office; experiences with WordPress, InDesign and Photoshop are an additional asset
- Excellent written skills in English
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Background within Peace and Conflict Studies, Journalism or a related field; a solid understanding of elicitive conflict transformation and / or transrational peace philosophy is considered an asset
Please send your application, including a cover letter, CV and one to three writing sample(-s) to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 12th, 2018.